2008년 3월 4일 화요일

Entry #5






While reading Fahrenheit 451, I didn’t really understand why firemen burned books. But the main character was happy, and he was having fun with his job. I guess I felt glad like him during this part of the book. Then, the main character starts questioning his job. I was confused; if he liked burning books, why did he question his job? I think his curiosity made the conflict in this novel. As Beatty was explaining about why the job firemen had become from "protect people from fire" to "burn books and any other literature", I was pretty saddened. This is the part where I realized the society is corrupted, and everyone won’t think about anything, just let the government lead them. I understand why people were afraid of knowledge, but I still thought that they have to achieve knowledge in order to bring the society to a better, peaceful place to live. I felt gloomy as I read through, because I couldn’t believe that ones with knowledge let people head on to a state so contaminated people don’t even like to think. When Montag killed Beatty, I knew that Montag was in a big trouble but I felt a relief inside me and started to encourage Montag to do what is right even more. I started to worry about Montag when the Mechanical Hound chased him down. I was really impressed when the Mechanical Hound pierced him but he kept on running away even though he was injured badly! I thought Montag would die when the car was following him and was about to crash into him, but there was a twist. The car wasn’t the police’s! I kept on urging Montag to escape this corrupted society and come back with full of knowledge. I was finally relieved when he met the others who have run away just like him and each represents a book with knowledge. I was disappointed that the novel ends without telling the readers what happens next. But I felt proud of Montag and I was glad enough that there was still a ray of hope glimmering in the contaminated society.

0 개의 댓글: